"If the Son sets you free, you shall be free indeed" (Romans 8:36)


Thursday, February 11, 2010

No End-Runs Around the Cross


My dear brothers and sisters in Christ- as my very first blog ever on this newly designed website... I have decided to say a few words about the cross of Christ and how vitally important it is that His cross be central in the lives of God's people and God's Church.
Below is a graphic that has been posted on the web in various places. It was designed by a member of LC-MS congregation St. Athanasius Lutheran Church (Vienna, Virginia) to illustrate a point which his pastor had been teaching about the cross. I have eagerly seized it as my own because it beautifully illustrates the centrality of the Cross of Christ in the life of God's people.

The point is that, as people who have been drowned in the waters of Baptism and reborn as New Creations (as people who have thus died the death of Christ on the cross and been resurrected with Him), the Cross of Christ becomes the central and most important factor in our relationship with God. That is, to say, there are "no end-runs around the cross."
Take for example a question that we might struggle with in a time of doubt: "Am I really saved?" It's a question every one of us asks at some point. What happens if you try to answer this question without the cross? Without the Cross of Christ, it is impossible to answer the question in a meaningful, hope-filling way. Any potential answer is a despair-filled answer.
The same applies to other questions. For example, in the wake of the Haiti earthquake, the thousands dead, the untold sufferings and privation of the survivors, we ask "Why?" "Why did God allow it?" In each case, as I said before, if we leave out the Cross of Christ, questions like these can drive us to despair or insanity.
But, by contrast! Consider these questions in the light of that cross... Christ volunteering to lay down His life through His passion (His terrible suffering, humiliation, excoriation, and death)... and everything is different. At the risk of sounding trite, it's a paradigm shift. When we view things through the lens of the Cross of Christ, now we see that I am saved because Christ paid my penalty. I have the assurance of salvation (as we say in the funeral litany, "the sure and certain salvation") which comes only through the Cross of Christ.
God has placed my sins, you see, on the Cross of Christ. And as Christ Jesus dies, God's anger against my sin also dies. Because of the Cross of Christ, I know that God loves me. Because of the Cross of Christ, God forgives me. Because of the Cross of Christ, God hears me when I pray. God even names me worthy because of the Cross of Christ.
As Gene Veith stated so eloquently in his blog, "end runs around the Cross lead to doubt and torment, but considering God through the lens of the Cross, and understanding that God considers us through the lens of the Cross makes all the difference."
Posted by Pastor Matt on the 19th day of January, in the year of our Lord 2010.
Soli Deo Gratia.

No comments:

Post a Comment